The Lead Mosque was built in the early thirties of the sixteenth century, the time of the rule of Sultan Suleiman Kanunorit (1520-1566), a period when the city of Berat begins to recover after the destruction of the XV century, becoming an important administrative and religious center of the Ottoman Empire.
The monument stands at the center of the city and was built by the local feudal Ahmet Bey Uzgurliu, a local feudal converted to Islam. Ottoman traveler Evlia Celebi when talks about the list of Ahmet Bey’s constructions in the city of Berat, after describing the mosque itself, as a mosque built with carved stones, covered with lead, with elegant minaret and a covered porch with seven domes also covered with lead, tells us that it was part of a complex consisting of market, madrasa , imareti (public cafeteria), schools, baths and taps.
Compounding elements of the architectural monument are: prayer hall in a square plane with a dome, covered porch on the north side, covered with domes smaller the central one, and a high and narrow minaret, worked fine in its basement with kluasonazh (combination of stones and bricks) technique.
In its interior, characteristic is the abundant light due to the presence of many windows. The floor of the mosque has been covered with brick hexagon, of which only a few fragments are preserved.