Cultural site. The Old Town of Corfu, is located in a strategic position at the entrance of the Adriatic Sea and has its roots in the 8th century BC. The urban and port ensemble of Corfu constitute an architectural example of outstanding universal value in both its authenticity and its integrity. Despite the proactive policies of restoration, many works still have to be started/completed. The responsibility for the site protection involves the Hellenic Ministry of Culture, the Municipality of Corfu (MC) and the Superintendence for Byzantine and post-Byzantine antiquities. The cultural site has been inscribed in the WH List in 2007 after the submission of a Management Plan prepared by the MC and other relevant stakeholders.
The island is connected to the history of Greece from the beginning of Greek mythology. Its Greek name, Kerkyra or Korkyra, is related to two powerful water symbols: Poseidon, god of the sea, and Asopos, an important Greek mainland river. Corfu was long controlled by Venice, which repulsed several Turkish sieges, before falling under British rule following the Napoleonic Wars. Corfu was eventually ceded by the British Empire along with the remaining islands of the United States of the Ionian Islands, and unification with modern Greece was concluded in 1864 under the Treaty of London.