The church of Saint Mary Blaherna is one of the oldest churches built in the city of Berat. The church has a yard where is thought to have been an early monastery of the VI-V centuries.
It has a cross in square plan and has been built with the clausonage technique (stones surrounded with tiles), characteristic for the Byzantine churches of the XIII-XIV centuries.
The church was reconstructed in the XVI century. Under the church floor is a water cistern which is thought to have been built earlier in time.
Nicolas Onufri painted the church in 1578. The paintings present prophet portraits and Bible scenes. The floor has been decorated with a mosaic. In the center of the mosaic is a square with geometrical drawings of stone slabs and square tiles.